- GENERAL WEBSITES (Language specific sites are listed below)
- DOE Homework Help Line - 212-777-3380. Live help from Teachers in English and Spanish
- Homework Parents - Each Class will have Homework parents who have volunteered to help for designated weeks. Please ask your class parent to give you the schedule.
- Most DVDs give you the language choices so when your child is saying they want to watch their favorite movie, why not make it educational and have them watch in their language of study?
- French TV: TV5 is a premium channel for purchase from time warner cable. Childrens shows, news, movies, culture. 100% French and Francophone countries represented. http://www.tv5.org/ or http://www.tv5.org/locaux/usa/
- Iphone Apps: There are several free apps which have games and tutorials in both French and Spanish. One is called 24/7 Spanish
- The NY Public Library offers CDs with Spanish tutorials on them and they can be loaded onto ipods/iphones/computers etc.
- ACTIVITIES / CAMPS / CLASSES
- IMMERSION SUMMER CAMPS:
- Bonjour NY offers two French immersion summer camps -- one based at PS 84, and the other at PS 58 in Brooklyn. http://bonjourny.com/
- Bank Street Spanish immersion camp – 610 W. 112th Street. phone: 212 875 4705 http://www.bnkst.edu/camp/lowercamp.html
- Summer Arts Camp: Frank Moreno at the non-profit Taller Americana Latino
is offering a summer camp which will be partially in Spanish (30%).
Little Masters Art Classes will offer kids ages 2-12 a nurturing
environment to play and create together through art, drama, music,
movement, and Spanish language activities! Registration will begin on
April 6th and the first week of Summer Arts will begin on June 22nd.
Summer Arts offers a 5 day or 3 days a week program for 4-12 year olds.
Classes for 2 year olds as well as for 3-4 year olds are also offered.
For information of all camp programs and to register please visit www.littlemastersart.com. http://www.tallerlatino.org/KidsSummer.html
- FREE SPANISH CLASSES FOR PARENTS:
- http://www.tallerlatino.org/SpanishClasses.html All classes are currently finished for the summer, but should resume the 3rd week of September. For more information please e-mail Dana at email@example.com.
- Saturday classes location: John Jay College, 58 & 10 ave. Time: 10-2pm
- Thursday classes location: PS 84, 92nd street btw columbus and amsterdam Time: 9-11a
- Evening classes location: 275 7th ave. 25 & 26 streets room #1622
- Beginning classes Mon & Wed. 5:30-8:10
- Intermediate classes Tues & Thurs 5:30-8:10
- SPANISH CLASSES AT INSTITUTO CERVANTES– offers Spanish classes in a classroom setting and via internet. They also have a Spanish book and video library and information about programs throughout the city. 211 E. 49th St tel. 212-308-7720 http://nuevayork.cervantes.es/en/default.shtm
- LOISAIDA WALKING TOUR OF SPANISH LOWER EAST SIDE: Loisaida is a neighborhood located in the Lower East Side, very well known by its vast Puerto Rican heritage. This guided walk will take you through significant venues. Tour guide: Lisset Martinez Herryman, Art Historian. Tour will be entirely in Spanish. After the tour we will meet for coffee or drinks and converse about the visit and/or other art and language topics. Meeting point: Jardí Comunitario La Plaza Cultural Armando Pérez (Community Garden) Ave C, esq. a 9ª. DATE: Saturday June 6 5:00PM DURATION: 90 min COST: Just $15 per person in advance (online payments through Pay Pal at http://www.ennuevayorkny.com)
$20 at the event Please RSVP since space is limited http://nuevayork.cervantes.es/en/default.shtm
- METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART: Lectures, tours and movies in Spanish: El Primer Contacto con el Arte, a program conducted in Spanish for visitors ages six through 12 and their adult companions. Each session features a gallery talk and hands-on activities that focus on a different theme and area of the Museum. This program meets Saturdays, 11:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
- OTHER SPANISH WEBSITES:
- OTHER FRENCH RESOURCES